Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My own secret ceremonials...

I have been thinking about the future lately...
Like things I want to do with and teach my future children.
So I wanted to compile a list... before I forgot.

1. Instill the importance of reading.
I want to read to my children every night
(I know this is going to sound weird but I've already bought two books for them)

2. Take them to museums and art galleries.
I want them to challenge the world around them
and taking them to these places will help them form and gather their own perspective
on the world.

3. Midnight dessert picnics.
I thought of this idea today,
On nice spring/summer or fall nights I want to wake them up at midnight
(on the weekend of course)
In their pj's we'll go outside with flashlights and have a picnic of cakes and ice cream.

4. Have them tell me all about their day.
I don't want to be one of those parents that never takes the time to listen to their child's day.

5. Take them to central park and other amazing parts of NY.
I want them to know their city.

6. Build tents and forts with and in general play with them.
Imagination is something that needs to be nurtured.
I want my kids to have that with them always.

7. Do crafts with them.
Because it's fun... duh.

8. Encourage them to learn a musical instrument or play a sport.
I want them to learn young the importance and rewards of discipline.

9. Sharing.
Nowadays I see so many children that have a problem with sharing,
I think that's really sad.

10. Disappointment's
Not everything is going to go their way, and they are going to have to accept that.
I think this will be one of the harder lessons to teach them.
I don't want them to crumble when the slightest thing doesn't go their way.

I'm sure they're are other things that I am forgetting, but this list is a good start.
I just want to create and environment where they feel loved and cherished.

Ive been thinking about the girls names a little more recently,
my sons name is set (Aidan Gerard, spelling still pending)
But for a girls name I started falling in love with Eisley.
Originally I liked Daven Hartley or Hartley Daven,
but Eisley pushed them aside.

Is it weird that I've thought about this so in depth?
Eehh... I guess it's not that weird considering my tendency to over think things...

I don't know what the future holds for me but
I don't see the problem with giving myself a little outline.
I might not even be able to have kids.
(graves disease and all)
But if I do you can bet that they will be loved.

3 comments:

Zhenya said...

You'll be an amazing mother Delilah!

Em said...

I second that. Our kids better be best friends too!!! Except mine will hate me because I will force some those same things you speak of with uch love on them lol.

Em said...

Oh and my daughter will be Emma.